Journal:Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine
Year, Volume, Issue, Page(s):11, 34, 2, 149-161
Study determined the nature and distribution of activities during physical therapy (PT) delivered in inpatient spinal cord injury (SCI) rehabilitation and identified predictors (patient and injury characteristics) of the amount of time spent in PT for specific treatment activities. Data were collected from 600 patients from six inpatient SCI centers enrolled in the SCIRehab study. Physical therapists documented details, including time spent, of treatment provided during 37,306 PT sessions that occurred during inpatient SCI rehabilitation. Ordinary least squares regression models associated patient and injury characteristics with time spent in specific PT activities. Results showed that SCIRehab patients received a mean total of 55.3 hours of PT over the course of their rehabilitation stay. Significant differences among four neurologic groups were seen in the amount of time spent on most activities, including the most common PT activities of strengthening exercises, stretching, transfer training, wheelchair mobility training, and gait training. Most PT work (77 percent) was provided in individual therapy sessions; the remaining 23 percent was done in group settings. Patient and injury characteristics explained only some of the variations seen in time spent on wheelchair mobility, transfer and bed mobility training, and range of motion/ stretching.